Since the advent of modern construction principles in the Architecture, Engineering & Construction (AEC) Industry, shop drawings have played a crucial role. The essentiality is more valued today because of the wide range of utilities and applications you can put detailed drawings too. In today’s blog, we at BluEntCAD decided to unearth more on why the AEC industry finds shop drawings quintessential to its operation.
Table Of Content
The building construction industry is highly competitive. In order to stay one step ahead of the curve, contractors and architects of various firms need swiftness, accuracy and precision. Since these drawings are highly versatile with accurate and quick outputs, they are popular among architects, general contractors, building firms and clients. Their diverse applications make them even more indispensable. Be it woodwork drawings or cabinets shop drawing or BIM shop drawings, AEC firms are always on the lookout for shop drawing service providers like BluEntCAD to collaborate for creating effective shop drawings. Know more about our Shop Drawings
+1 (647) 478 5230
Request for Services
So, what exactly are shop drawings?
Put simply, shop drawings are collections of accurately drawn versions of a contractor’s information represented in construction documents. They are more detailed than architectural drawings and often represent installation and fabrication of mechanical components and structural steel members, product design and development.
Who uses Shop Drawings?
Shop drawings are used by almost everyone involved in a project. Right from builders to contractors to designers and architects, these drawings find their application widely and quite frequently when a project is under construction.
The idea behind shop drawing design is to present the guidelines for manufacturing various components which will be used during construction. By leveraging this information, you can ensure that the industry specifications and quality standards are achieved on your project.
Components of shop drawing designs
Mostly, pre-fabricated components encompass in designing shop drawings. It is to be noted that the arrangement of these pre-fabricated components is very vital to building construction. This assembly needs to take place very accurately and the same is achieved through architectural shop drawings, MEP shop drawings, steel shop drawings, millwork shop drawings and so on.
Some examples of these pre-fabricated building components include pre-cast components, steel structures, steel trusses, steel elevators, millwork and cabinets and wooden windows.
When you have the right set of shop drawings, you are able to comprehend the following details:
- Minute and detailed information about various pre-fabricated components which will be used in building construction
- What components will be used where and in what quantity during the construction
- Specific information pertaining to the dimensional specifications, component measurements and calculations based on plans
With all this information at your tips, you get the ability to take quick decisions and easily build the proposed structure in no time.
In reality, the versatility, precision and accuracy are the three pillars which make the AEC industry rely on shop drawings.
Let’s discuss these in detail.
- Let’s first talk about the versatility of usage. Best millwork drawings strictly adhere to industry, manufacturing and project standards. Because of this, they assist contractors, suppliers, manufacturers and fabricators during construction.
- Shop drawing drafting can be done for literally anything and everything that your building will require. For example, our experts at BluEntCAD have worked on spool drawings, MEP drawings, sleeve drawings, penetration drawings, millwork drawings and insert layout drawings.
- You can create both mass-produced and custom shop drawings. Building product manufacturers often utilize components of older sets while creating new projects. On special requests, however, the sequence of components can be customized for specific requirements of a client.
- You can also use shop drawings for creating detailed designs about plumbing, piping, fire protection, sheet metal ductwork and electrical components.
Apart from this, you can use shop drawing software to create literally any and every type of millwork and cabinetry. Based on sthe pecific requirement or general usage, both custom millwork drawings and stock millwork drawings can be created for your project
When you work with the right CAD drafting service providers, you can expect precise, high-quality shop drawings with uniform component dimensions. These drawings have the capability to recognize and rectify potential issues in your project, even before the ground construction begins.
- If your drawings have high accuracy, you can conveniently download them to your contractors’ GP systems without any fuss and distortion. This will enable your contractors to develop layout faster and more efficiently.
- Since shop drawings are designed with the exact parameters of the building components, the chances of trial and error is considerably reduced. The lesser the room for error, the lesser will be component wastage. In essentiality, the drawings help you keep the project budget under control.
Having said that, we wouldn’t recommend getting shop drawings done for every project.
So, does your project require shop drawings in actuality?
Shop drawings have a close proportional relationship with the size of your project. Not every project requires such drawings, Smaller projects make do with construction documentation only. Mostly shop drawings are required by projects with greater complexities and challenges. With detailed shop drawings, the larger projects can be updated in real-time, thereby facilitating convenient workflow.
However, just to save you some last minute hassle, we would recommend consulting shop drawing service provider in your area like BluEntCAD for getting a clear decision on whether your project requires shop drawings or not.
What should be my approach for shop drawing preparation?
We’d recommend following the below steps for most effective shop drawings for your next project.
- First, identify a project that requires shop drawing. You might want to speak with a shop drawing consultant like BluEntCAD
- Next, ask your experts to create accurately detailed drawings
- Get your drawings reviewed by design professionals after the previous step
- Make sure that the design professionals consult various different stakeholders involved in your project before approving the drawings
- You can get onto sharing the approved drawings with various fabricators and manufacturers as the next step
In a nutshell
Shop drawings, with their precision, accuracy and versatility act as crucial tools for suppliers, fabricators and manufacturers in the AEC industry to provide optimal components and installations for your project. Moreover, they help contractors comply with the industry standards and safety compliances to ensure proper construction.
If you are not sure whether you need shop drawings designed or want your old shop drawings to be reviewed, take help of a reliable shop drawing detailing service provider in US and Canada like BluEntCAD. Our design professionals have over 30 years of hands-on experience in creating accurate and easily comprehendible shop drawings. Get in touch today or request or quote!